proxy performance
Sumeet Singh
2004-04-22 21:26:04 UTC
Has anybody compared the performance apache 1.3.x running as a proxy
server (using mod_proxy) against apache 2.0 (using worker-mpm) ?

-sumeet
Pavan Balaji
2004-04-22 22:12:40 UTC
We had tried this sometime back, and apache 2.0 was giving about 1.5 times
the performance. But I didn't do any fine tuning stuff, so am not sure how
reliable these numbers are. Anyways, the proxy forwarding is still giving
terrible performance (as compared to running it just as a webserver) --
about 2-2.5 times worse.

-- Pavan

Pavan Balaji, | 774, Dreese Labs,
1584, Worthington St, | 2015, Neil Avenue,
Columbus, OH43201 | Columbus, OH43210
(614) 327 0973 | (614) 292 8458

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything's perfect... It just means that
you have decided to see Beyond the Imperfections" -- Rash
-sumeet
Sumeet Singh
2004-04-22 22:30:15 UTC
Post by Pavan Balaji
We had tried this sometime back, and apache 2.0 was giving about 1.5 times
the performance. But I didn't do any fine tuning stuff, so am not sure how
reliable these numbers are. Anyways, the proxy forwarding is still giving
terrible performance (as compared to running it just as a webserver) --
about 2-2.5 times worse.
Do you mean to say that when run as a proxy, apache 2.0 with worker-mpm
does worse than apache 1.3 ? That's surprising, because none of the
docs/articles that I have read have pointed out such a severe shortage
in performance (p.s. I am not saying that your results were wrong).

-sumeet
-sumeet
Pavan Balaji

-sumeet
Sumeet Singh
2004-04-22 22:51:07 UTC
Post by Pavan Balaji
No. I meant apache 2.0 was giving about 1.5 times better performance :-).
Sorry about the confusion.
Thanks.

Btw, can you expand on the following ?

-sumeet
Pavan Balaji
2004-04-22 23:07:21 UTC
What I mean is, when I send requests directly to the webserver, I get
about 3.5K transactions per second (per server). But when I add the proxy
to forward all requests to the webserver, I get about 1.7K transactions
per second. I expect some drop in performance, but this seems a little too
much. If you have any insights about something I'm probably missing, I'll
be glad to try it out.

Thanks,